A government spokesman said the operation to sanitise the building, close to the Indian Consulate from where the attack was launched, had been sanitised.
According to sources, the blast was reported 400 metres from the Indian consulate in Jalalabad (Afghanistan), while apparently the Consulate was not the target.
It took special forces over 24 hours to neutralise all the attackers who were holed up inside a building near the Indian establishment. At least one police officer died and 11 people were injured, in addition to the three attackers who were killed. Commandos landed on the building’s roof by helicopter and ended the operation, the report added.
On the terror attack on the Pathankot air base, Dujarric said he did not have any comment as the operation there was ongoing.
Meanwhile, Saifudin Sahadat, a provincial high peace council chief, was shot and killed by a gunman on Monday night in northern Samangan province, said Sediq Sediqqi, spokesman for the interior minister. “I first talked to them when the attack started Sunday night and I am in constant touch with them”, he said without going into further details about the incident.
In response to a question on the attack on the Saudi embassy in Tehran, Dujarric told reporters here yesterday that under the Vienna Convention, the responsibility to protect diplomatic missions and to protect diplomats lies with the countries where these diplomats work and where these missions work.
He also said the casualty toll from Monday evening’s suicide vehicle bombing near the Kabul International Airport has risen to two dead and 36 civilians wounded, including nine women.