Connect
To Top

Afghanistan restaurant bombing kills two, including 12-year-old

The attack occurred near the eastern entrance of the airport, said Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi.

Meanwhile, Fraidoon Obaidi, the head of Kabul’s Criminal Investigation Department said,”We can confirm a suicide vehicle bomb attack on Le Jardin”.

Zabiullah Mujahid, Taliban spokesman, claimed on Twitter that several foreigners had been killed and wounded in the suicide attack.

The blast is the latest in a series of attacks around Afghanistan in recent weeks.

Kabul deputy police chief Gul Agha Rohani said: “It was a suicide auto bomb”.

The Taliban attacked a restaurant popular with expats, the Taverna du Liban, in January 2014, killing 21 people, including 13 foreigners.

The Taliban didn’t wait long into to the new year for their first attack, launching a suicide bombing at a French restaurant in Kabul, before other fighters had a shootout with police. Frequent Taliban attacks over the past two years at similar spots have significantly harmed the local economy, and many businesses have close their doors after estimating the likelihood of threat.

Some 15 people, including some restaurant patrons, were injured in the blast. On Jan. 11, officials from Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States are scheduled to meet in Islamabad to begin discussing solutions to the conflict.

Pakistan-the Taliban’s historic backers-hosted a first round of talks in July but the negotiations stalled when the insurgents belatedly confirmed the death of their longtime leader, Mullah Omar.

“Those who are targeting innocent civilians have no place in peace talks with the Afghan people and government”, he said.

The militants have stepped up attacks across the country over the past year, following the formal end of the U.S. and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation combat mission.

More inAmeriPublications

Privacy Preference Center

Necessary

Advertising

Analytics

Other