Connect
To Top

Indian consulate in Afghan city Mazar-i-Sharif attacked

Explosions and gunfire rang out as militants tried to storm the Indian diplomatic mission in the Afghan city of Mazar-i-Sharif, an official said. He also confirmed that Afghan forces are in the process of neutralising the attack.

“We are being attacked”.

There were no immediate details available on casualties or damage.

Spokesperson Vikas Swarup told News Nation that all Indians in the consulate are safe. “Fighting is going on”, an official told AFP via telephone.

Two loud explosions and gunshots were heard earlier as the gunmen launched an attack from a nearby house, Muneer Ahmad Farhad, a spokesman for the Balkh province governor said.

The attack came as Indian security forces continued their effort to repel an assault on an air base near the border with Pakistan.

An Indian intelligence official in Delhi said the attack bore “clear footprints of terrorists who are handled by Pakistan’s ISI”.

An Indian official said there had been no reports of Indian casualties so far and it was not certain that the consulate itself was the target of the attack.

The attackers first fired a RPG at the wall of Indian consulate after which there was bullet firing.

The worst strike was a suicide bomb terror attack on the Indian embassy in capital Kabul on July 7, 2008, killing 58 people and injuring 141.

The Indian consulate in Herat, Afghanistan was attacked on May 23, 2014 by four heavily-armed militants.

More inAmeriPublications

Privacy Preference Center

Necessary

Advertising

Analytics

Other