(Sven Hoppe/dpa via AP)BERLIN (AP) – A terror warning in Munich on New Year’s Eve that led to the evacuation of two train stations was not a false alert, security officials said Friday, although there have been no arrests.
On Facebook, Munich police said the precautions were being taken in response to “serious evidence”.
Police is pictured outside the Munich train station on December 31, 2015. With barely four hours to go until midnight, and therefore no time to check the intelligence, ZDF said the police had opted for caution and shut down the two railway stations.
Herrmann continued to say that the closures had been “the right decision, because I think we can not run any risks when we have such specific threats”.
“We received names. We can’t say if they are in Munich or in fact in Germany”, Andrae reportedly said, when asked about the suspects’ whereabouts. They had yet to confirm, they said, whether the names they had received were correct or, indeed, whether the suspects were real people.
He added: “It’s a bit weird, though, that we have a terrorist warning and people are firing off their fireworks”.
Police initially detained six people after searching six locations in the Belgian capital and one just outside the city.
In an apparent effort to allay those concerns, Germany said on Thursday it would start holding personal hearings for asylum seekers from Syria as of Friday, reversing a policy of granting nearly automatic refugee status for Syrians.
Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae has said it was unclear whether the suspects are still in the city or even in Germany.
“There were solid indications of between five and seven attackers”, Bavaria’s state interior minister, Joachim Herrmann, said in an overnight press conference.
An overnight deployment of 550 officers to deal with the threat has now been reduced to 100.
German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere commended all the authorities involved for their “thoughtful, considerate and decisive” action in Munich. French and U.S. intelligence agencies are said to have named seven Iraqis living in Munich as the potential attackers.
Several days after the November 13 Paris attacks, German police called off an global football match at the last minute, evacuating thousands of fans from the stadium over a “serious” bomb threat.
Regional public television Bayerischer Rundfunk (BR) reported that the intelligence concerning possible Daesh attacks in Munich first came from US authorities on Thursday night and soon after French intelligence service conveyed similar information to their German counterparts.
However, Herrmann warned that the overall threat across Europe remained high after the attacks in Paris in November that killed 130 people.
Andrae said the security alert level in Munich remained the same as it was before German authorities received the tip.
More in AmeriPublications
South Korea appeals to China to rein in North over nuclear tests
South Korea’s Defense Ministry couldn’t immediately confirm the report.January 21, 2016
Satellite SpaceX fail as rocket topples over while landing
According to a message on Twitter wrote by SpaceX founder Elon Musk, one of the rocket’s landing legs didn’t latch into...January 21, 2016
Ruble Falls to 82 Against US Dollar, 90 Against Euro
Russian Federation is running a budget deficit of 3 percent of GDP this year, and the government is looking to cut...January 21, 2016
19 killed in university attack in Pakistan
He said the operation had ended and security forces were clearing the area, with most of the student victims shot dead...January 21, 2016
Moldova political crisis: Protesters break into parliament
Police arrested several protesters after they clashed with security forces and broke into the parliament building on Wednesday, according to local...January 21, 2016
Military step up search and recovery operation after Somalia raid
MOGADISHU Somalia (Xinhua) – Somalia’s Islamist militant group Al-Shabaab claimed on Sunday to have killed 100 Kenyan soldiers serving under the...January 21, 2016
Sarah Palin: Speculation rife former Alaska governor set to endorse Donald Trump
“And that starts from the top”, she said. “You deserve the best!”January 21, 2016
Bombing close to Russian embassy in Kabul kills 7
At least seven people died on Wednesday when a suicide bomber targeted the Moby Group, a major media production company in...January 21, 2016
NYS Health Officials Advise MDs to Watch for Zika Virus
The move comes after United States health chiefs issued an alert on Friday advising pregnant women to avoid travelling to Brazil...January 21, 2016