Rescuers yesterday pulled him from the massive mudslide that hit the Liuxi Industrial Park in Shenzhen.
Firefighters had to squeeze into the narrow room around Tian and remove the debris by hands, Zhang Yabin, an armed policeman participating in the rescue said. The man survived in a crawl space created by a broken door panel.
He underwent four hours of surgery as doctors battled to save his severely injured leg. However, he is extremely weak, dehydrated and has sustained several soft tissue injuries and multiple fractures.
There was grim news too, however. He told his rescuers that another survivor is close by but the third body recovered today was not a survivor.
At least 16 people remain hospitalized, three in a serious condition, according to Shenzhen’s emergency response office. He said he managed to stay alive by thinking of his mother and eating sunflower seeds and grapefruit, Hong Kong daily South China Morning Post reported.
The 19-year-old had used a rock to tap on debris to try to attract the attention of those looking for signs of life among the sea of mud. Initially, journalists were not allowed to reach the site of the landslide.
He directed soldiers to an area where he said there was another survivor, but rescuers found another body – bringing the confirmed death toll to two.
Over 70 people are missing in China’s Shenzhen province after a landslide at an overfull dump site.
The force of the landslide destroyed 33 buildings in its path. Initially, there were over 90 people that were reported missing. “I saw the earth coming down”, a migrant worker told the Global Times.
So far, they’re nowhere to be found. Calls to the company seeking comment went unanswered.
“When are they going to find our parents? Answers to these questions are inescapably linked with the economics of waste treatment”, the newspaper said.
Rescuers search for survivors… a collapsed building following the landslide.
What exactly caused the landslide isn’t clear.
State media reported that the New Guangming District government identified problems with the mountain of soil months earlier.
The Legal Evening News said a district government report in January found that the dump had received one million cubic metres of waste and warned of a “catastrophe”. Inspection reports said the landfill operator hadn’t sufficiently compressed the soil onsite and cited “severe” erosion on some slopes. Some areas were covered with up to 10m (32ft) of mud.
More in AmeriPublications
South Korea appeals to China to rein in North over nuclear tests
South Korea’s Defense Ministry couldn’t immediately confirm the report.January 21, 2016
Satellite SpaceX fail as rocket topples over while landing
According to a message on Twitter wrote by SpaceX founder Elon Musk, one of the rocket’s landing legs didn’t latch into...January 21, 2016
Ruble Falls to 82 Against US Dollar, 90 Against Euro
Russian Federation is running a budget deficit of 3 percent of GDP this year, and the government is looking to cut...January 21, 2016
19 killed in university attack in Pakistan
He said the operation had ended and security forces were clearing the area, with most of the student victims shot dead...January 21, 2016
Moldova political crisis: Protesters break into parliament
Police arrested several protesters after they clashed with security forces and broke into the parliament building on Wednesday, according to local...January 21, 2016
Military step up search and recovery operation after Somalia raid
MOGADISHU Somalia (Xinhua) – Somalia’s Islamist militant group Al-Shabaab claimed on Sunday to have killed 100 Kenyan soldiers serving under the...January 21, 2016
Sarah Palin: Speculation rife former Alaska governor set to endorse Donald Trump
“And that starts from the top”, she said. “You deserve the best!”January 21, 2016
Bombing close to Russian embassy in Kabul kills 7
At least seven people died on Wednesday when a suicide bomber targeted the Moby Group, a major media production company in...January 21, 2016
NYS Health Officials Advise MDs to Watch for Zika Virus
The move comes after United States health chiefs issued an alert on Friday advising pregnant women to avoid travelling to Brazil...January 21, 2016