The London-based rights group on Wednesday issued a damning report which said that Russian raids have killed hundreds of civilians since start of the campaign on September 30, many in targeted strikes which could constitute war crimes.
The Kremlin has previously described similar reports as “information warfare” aimed at discrediting its operations in Syria. And there’s some doubt among Western analysts about the accuracy of their targeting.
Amnesty International claims there were no military objectives or militants in the areas of “suspected Russian attacks”, Konashenkov said. “‘Terrible waves of indiscriminate attacks” Speaking to the Independent upon the release of its report, Amnesty said its research suggested Russia’s role in Syria had gone from “callous to catastrophic”. As a result of the attacks, at least 200 civilians killed compared to a dozen fighters, the report stated. “Su-24s were also seen dropping RBK 500 cluster bombs”.
It obtained and reviewed audiovisual imagery relating to all these attacks or their aftermath, and commissioned advice from weapons experts on munitions visible in them.
A Defence Ministry spokesman said he saw “nothing specific and nothing new” in the report. But Amnesty International said it was a different building from the one destroyed in the raid.
In reference to Russia’s alleged responsibility for Sunday’s deadly strikes in Idlib, a senior State Department official said it was not for the USA or the US coalition to investigate claims of collateral damage by Russian aircraft.
When asked Monday about allegations that Russia is using cluster bombs, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the Russian military in Syria operates in line with worldwide law.
The war in Syria which began almost five years ago has now cost more than a quarter of a million lives and displaced millions of people.
A local first responder told Amnesty that the nearest rebel military base was 300 metres (yards) away from the site where the bomb hit.
He added: “I would like to note that these are by far not all of our capabilities”. We have additional capabilities. Russia’s armed forces have also deployed long-range bombers from Russian Federation, sea-launched cruise missiles and, according to military analysts, combat helicopters, tanks, artillery and multiple rocket launcher systems. A mother and her two children were killed in one house and a young couple in another house.
More in AmeriPublications
South Korea appeals to China to rein in North over nuclear tests
South Korea’s Defense Ministry couldn’t immediately confirm the report.January 21, 2016
Satellite SpaceX fail as rocket topples over while landing
According to a message on Twitter wrote by SpaceX founder Elon Musk, one of the rocket’s landing legs didn’t latch into...January 21, 2016
Ruble Falls to 82 Against US Dollar, 90 Against Euro
Russian Federation is running a budget deficit of 3 percent of GDP this year, and the government is looking to cut...January 21, 2016
19 killed in university attack in Pakistan
He said the operation had ended and security forces were clearing the area, with most of the student victims shot dead...January 21, 2016
Moldova political crisis: Protesters break into parliament
Police arrested several protesters after they clashed with security forces and broke into the parliament building on Wednesday, according to local...January 21, 2016
Military step up search and recovery operation after Somalia raid
MOGADISHU Somalia (Xinhua) – Somalia’s Islamist militant group Al-Shabaab claimed on Sunday to have killed 100 Kenyan soldiers serving under the...January 21, 2016
Sarah Palin: Speculation rife former Alaska governor set to endorse Donald Trump
“And that starts from the top”, she said. “You deserve the best!”January 21, 2016
Bombing close to Russian embassy in Kabul kills 7
At least seven people died on Wednesday when a suicide bomber targeted the Moby Group, a major media production company in...January 21, 2016
NYS Health Officials Advise MDs to Watch for Zika Virus
The move comes after United States health chiefs issued an alert on Friday advising pregnant women to avoid travelling to Brazil...January 21, 2016